San Diego

We spent a wonderful week at my friend's who lives with her family in the San Diego area, near Ramona. Tanja's beautiful house was our base to explore Southern California. On the first afternoon we went to La Jolla, an elegant resort, whose beauty made me want to buy a house and move there. Since it was January it was very peaceful. However, I'm told it is overcrowded in the summer, a thing which would make me reconsider my intention to buy a property. But, I have enough time to think about it, until I win the lottery...

San Diego is protected by the Coronado Peninsula. Coronado is famous for its Hotel del Coronado, built in 1888. It has been the setting for many famous movies, Some Like It Hot, being one of them.

We went on a boat trip around the San Diego Bay, an excellent opportunity to see the whole city from the water and to take numerous photos. San Diego Downtown, like many in the US, has been rejuvenated since the 1980s. Horton Plaza, an interestingly designed shopping mall helped its revival. The once notorious Gaslamp Quarter is a new center of San Diego. It is designated a National Historic District. They say, the Quarter is particularly attractive in the evening, but with kids, we just don't go out at night as much as we used to. Instead, we went to the Sea World, where not only the kids had a lot of fun. The killer whales are amazing and beautiful. I could watch their performance for hours on end. However, I can't help feeling sorry for them being held in captivity just for the sake of people like me. Should we let them be free?