Londonderry/Derry

In the afternoon, after a phone briefing with the stranded members of our little group, we made a decision to go on with our plan, especially since we were booked in Derry. Dominik and I got on a bus in Belfast and after 2 1/2 hours of an uneventful ride we found ourselves in Derry.

Northern Ireland is simply beautiful. The green colour of the hills and pastures and valleys is absolutely wonderful and totally unique. And I'm talking only about what I saw from the bus. I can't imagine what the more amazing parts of Northern Ireland look like, such as the Antrim Coast, for instance. My greatest wish was to see it, together with the Giant Causeway and I deeply hope I'll have a chance to do it some time in the future.

In Derry we stayed at Serendipity House B&B, or actually, its sister B&B, the Angel House, just across the street from Serendipity. Paul and Charlotte welcomed us warmly, especially after sharing with them what an ordeal the rest of the party were going through. Anyway, we quickly left the guesthouse, in order to look around Derry, a walled city of the north, that became famous, at least to me, for an incident on January 30, 1972, known as Bloody Sunday, when 13 unarmed civilians were killed by the British soldiers.

Inside the walls, which have never been breached, hence its nickname the Maiden City, there lies a cute little city centre, with the Diamond War Memorial on the main square.