My story: Vicky's blog challenge

Oct 19, 2011

Vicky Loras has recently started a new blog challenge What's your story? Vicky invited teachers from around the world to share their stories about the changes they've made that helped them become a better educator or a better person. Vicky herself has made some big changes in her life and so have so many other educators, people who I know from Twitter and Facebook and who took up the challenge and wrote amazing posts about their amazing lives.

Do I lead such an amazing life? Do I have such a story? I've never lived anywhere else but in Croatia. I've never done anything else but teach. I'm not thinking about a change in the future (no matter how much I would love to live in a foreign country - any foreign country, for that matter - and learn a new language by speaking it - but I simply don't have the courage to make such a move). But despite living and teaching in one country for a long, long time I have changed as an educator and a person because of - you guessed correctly - Twitter and my PLN!

Before Twitter I rarely got the opportunity to share my experiences/knowledge/vision with other teachers and more importantly, the very thought of me giving a presentation to an audience sent shivers down my spine. I used to be an extremely shy presenter. I've been a teacher for many many years, but standing in front of an audience always made me feel ill at ease. Today things have changed,  my confidence has increased tremendously and I readily accept every invitation, in spite of the butterflies that appear at the first mention of a possible presentation or talk.Yes, I'm still nervous at the beginning of a talk, but this is positive nervousness, more like adrenalin, something that makes me want to keep on talking to my audience forever and ever.

At the beginning of November I'm going to do something that I would never do if it weren't for Twitter and my precious PLN - I'm going to speak in front of an audience of English teachers at TESOL Paris! I know I'll die ten times during the first ten minutes of the talk, but I want to go through it and I'm so terribly excited about it that I can hardly sleep. What's more, I'm thinking about singing karaoke in Paris! Something stupid - you might be thinking. (No, it's just that I love Robbie Williams:-) This would have been absolutely impossible two years ago, but today I feel quite comfortable with it. Yes, I have changed, definitely.

Despite having butterflies during my presentation in Redmond, I thoroughly enjoyed it

11 comments

David Warr said...

Wow! Which is scarier, presenting or singing?? Good luck with both.

October 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Arjana said...

Hi David, I think singing is much, much scarier!
Thanks:-)

October 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM
Vicky Loras said...

Hi Arjana!

Thank you sooo much for taking part in the blog challenge with your amazing story! I love how you describe your transformation through social media (I feel the same way!). Guess who will be in the fron t row cheering you on in Paris? Whoop! You'll be awesome! In singing too, I bet! (I looove Robbie too!)

I feel very fortunate to have joined Twitter, otherwise I would not have met super educators and personalities like you : )

Thank you and a very big hug,
Vicky

October 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM
Janet Bianchini said...

Hi Arjana

What an amazing and positive story you have shared! You have achieved so much in your life, and I wish you all the luck in the world for Tesol Paris, where you will be fantastic, I am sure.

I am sorry I won't be able to cheer you on in person, but I will be there in spirit. Singing karaoke in front of so many people is very brave, but again I know you will shine, and Robbie's lyrics and music will be spurring you on!

I feel the same way as you describe about the changes via Twitter. It's been an incredible experience and as Vicky says, I am also so grateful I have met fab educators like you!!

Warm wishes

Janet

October 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Arjana said...

Dear Vicky,
thank you for inviting me to take part in your wonderful challenge. I really loved reading these amazing stories by great educators.
I'm so much looking forward to seeing you in Paris and ....in my workshop! I'm soooo flattered and honoured:-)Thank you, thank you, thank you :-)
all the best
arjana

October 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM
Arjana said...

Dear Janet,
thank you so much for your kind words. The pleasure of meeting you was all mine.

Although we've known each other only virtually, being friends on Twitter is really an incredible experience.
all the best
Arjana

October 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM
Marianne Bishop said...

I wish I could be there to cheer you on! My next goal is to travel to a TESOL international conference! : ) I am certainly thankful for the way electronic communication has changed and enriched lives : )!

October 20, 2011 at 3:07 AM
Sandy Millin said...

Hi Arjana,
What a great story! Really looking forward to meeting you in Paris :)
Sandy

October 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Arjana said...

Dear Marianne,
accomplishing your goal shouldn't be a problem considering the amazing technology that we have today - and, of course, all those enthusiastic teachers who use it in their everyday lives.

There are two conferences coming up soon - TESOL Greece and IATEFL Glasgow - would you like to apply? It'd be great to see you again:-)
all the best
arjana

October 22, 2011 at 7:17 AM
Arjana said...

Hi Sandy,
thanks for your kind words. It'll be wonderful to meet you in Paris. Can't wait!
all the best
arjana

October 22, 2011 at 7:19 AM
TARUN PATEL said...

Hi Arjana,

How are you. I am glad to discover your blog through freeeslmaterials.com.

I run englishteachingdaily.com, a portal that offers a summary of latest ELT blog posts from the blogosphere, event updates, articles and more.

This site has been launched on October 7 and in the first 20 days of its launch it received 5500 views,

We would like to reprint your articles on my site. We will give appropriate credit to you for your works and link to your profile and the website.

Kindly have a look at my website at englishteachingdaily.com and let me know if we could work out together.

Thanks,

Tarun Patel

email: tarunjpatel@gmail.com
skype: tarunjpatel

November 4, 2011 at 8:28 PM
There was an error in this gadget